Administering Eye Drops to Your Dog
A helpful short video with step by step instructions below.
Make sure that you wash your hands both before and after administering the medication to prevent the spread of infection.
If your dog’s eye is painful, you may need to have someone assist you with restraining or you may need to apply a muzzle.
- Make sure you have carefully read the label and understand the dosing instructions.
- Hold the bottle using your thumb and index finger. You may want to rest this hand on the top of the dog’s head to help stabilize your hand.
- With your other hand, use your thumb to pull down the lower eyelid. Place your remaining fingers under the dog’s jaw to support the head. The lower eyelid acts as a pouch to receive the drops.
- Hold the bottle close to the eye but make sure you DO NOT touch the eye’s surface.
- Squeeze the prescribed number of drops onto the eyeball, aiming for the center of the eye, and then release the head.
- The dog will blink, spreading the medication over the surface of the eye.
- Make sure you give your dog plenty of praise throughout the procedure and offer a treat when you are finished.