Collecting a Urine Specimen from Male Dog
A helpful short video with step by step instructions below.
- Make sure that you use a clean plastic container. Your vet may provide you with one or you may use a clean margarine dish or something similar. A pie plate works best for female dogs.
- Keep in mind that a fresh specimen is best. Anything more than 12 hours old will not provide accurate results.
- If you can’t bring in the specimen within an hour of collecting it, make sure to place it in the refrigerator.
- Before collecting a specimen from a male dog, make sure you know which leg the dog prefers to lift, or if he prefers to squat.
- Wait for the dog to begin to urinate.
- Place the collection container into the stream of urine until an adequate amount has been collected. This is called a mid-stream sample.
- Place a lid on the container and bring it to your vet as soon as possible.