Collecting a Urine Specimen from Female Dog
A helpful short video with step by step instructions below.
- Make sure that you use a clean plastic container. Your vet may provide you with one or you may use a clean margarine dish or something similar. A pie plate works best for female dogs.
- Keep in mind that a fresh specimen is best. Anything more than 12 hours old will not provide accurate results.
- If you can’t bring in the specimen within an hour of collecting it, make sure to place it in the refrigerator.
- Approach the female dog slowly as she begins to squat.
- Place a shallow container under her after she has started to urinate. It is easiest to leave the container on the ground until she is finished. This is called a mid-stream sample.
- If you have used a pie plate, transfer the urine to a collection container with a lid and bring it to your vet as soon as possible.
- Some dogs will stop urinating when you approach them. If you experience difficulty in collecting a sample, contact your veterinarian.